The only bug bite I have not heard any complaints about- the “travel bug.” A positive spin on catching something infectious- in this case it’s an extremely deep feeling one catches to travel. Even the people I know who can no longer physically travel speak so fondly of their past it is as if they are being transported mid story. 🙂
Whether you are a seasoned traveler, international traveler, or just got back from your first adventure, this universal fact remains: once the travel bug bites you, there is no going back. You are a traveler for life. Your wanderlust is in constant need of attention. If that is you, welcome! If you aren’t sure, below are some signs indicating you have been bitten too.
1. You start all of your stories with, “When I was in…”
2. Every problem has a solution. The word travel is somewhere in the answer.
3. You collect items from your destinations and use them as decoration. (Examples include postcards, coffee mugs, shot glasses, hotel goodies, the local currency.)
4. You can plan an entire road trip months in advance, but have trouble deciding what’s on your agenda for the upcoming day.
5. You notice your bucket list is not getting shorter, but longer.
6. Your Instagram page doubles as an online vision board for destinations.
7. You read travel blogs, guidebooks and websites for fun.
8. You share inspirational quotes and photographs about traveling on any social media outlet you are a part of.
10. If your job requires travel, you have hit the jackpot!
11. You have your next 3 destinations planned out in your mind.
12. Your life goals include things like having one friend in every time zone or visiting as many countries as possible.
13. If someone you know implies you aren’t “really” friends with Anthony Bourdain, you contemplate ending your friendship with them. (You don’t need that type of negativity in your life.)
14. You have taken this picture many times! 🙂
16. You simply cannot imagine settling down with anyone who doesn’t share the same passion for travel as you.
17. You know how to say “hello” & “goodbye” in multiple languages.
18. You plan a birthday trip instead of a birthday party in your hometown. (Hell, the goal is to find a party while visiting!)
19. If you have not been anywhere in a few months, you have withdrawals.
20. If you could turn back time, it would be so you could travel more with the ones you love.
21. You volunteer yourself to go on other people’s vacations.
22. You have a “just in case” bag packed and ready to go. Good for 3 full days of travel.
23. You learn the city 30 miles away from home can be just as much an adventure as a city 3,000 miles away. ❤
24. You consider your passport to be your favorite accessory.
25. You look up the definition of wanderlust to make sure it’s a real word and to serve as validation that what you feel inside is a real thing.
To Travel Tales,
The Smitten Chef 🍾