This past Mother’s Day, I burned my entire right hand. Half of it. Outside of it interfering with me being able to use my hand in general, it did allow me time to piece together missing links in areas where I don’t have to cook. Or write. Or lift with the strong hand. On the flip side, I’ve learned to relax with intention and fix my mind on the prize with a new level of excitement. Not mention, my left hand is now almost as strong as my right. 💪💪💪
As with any true celebration, let there be drinks and chocolate!! When in doubt, bring ingredients together. I figured the idea went well with the whole next level mindset. So I made rum brownies with a raspberry sauce the other day with thanks for the ability to bend my hand again!!! ☺☺☺
Ode to New Beginnings…and Chocolate.
The Smitten Chef 💚
2 (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons Dark Rum
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of Chinese Five Spice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F degrees. Butter or spray an 8 inch square pan.
2. In a large bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of hot water.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Transfer batter to baking pan.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of brownies come out clean.
6. Cool for 5 minutes or until desired warmth, then cut into bars.
7. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if you so choose!
8. Drizzle raspberry sauce (recipe below) over individual portions. Enjoy!
1 pint of raspberries
1/8-1/4 cup of sugar
1. Combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan. Cook on medium until raspberries are broken down; about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and eliminate seeds by straining. Drizzle over brownie. 🙂